Monday 29 November 2010 7.30 pm
Venue: Committee Rooms 1 & 2, Harrow Civic Centre. View directions
Contact: Mark Doherty, Acting Democratic Services Officer Tel: 020 8416 8050 E-mail: email@example.com
Appointment of Chairman
To appoint a Chairman for the purposes of this meeting.
RESOLVED: That Councillor Mrinal Choudhury be appointed Chairman of this Licensing Panel Hearing.
Declarations of Interest
To receive declarations of personal or prejudicial interests, arising from business to be transacted at this meeting, from:
(a) all Members of the Committee, Sub Committee, Panel or Forum;
(b) all other Members present in any part of the room or chamber.
RESOLVED: To note that the following interest was declared:
Agenda Item 36 - Application to vary the premises licence held in respect of 'Ever Bubbles Ltd' (Trading as Day One) 197 Streatfield Road, Kenton, Harrow, Middlesex HA3 9DA
CouncillorHusain Akhtar declared a personal interest in agenda item 36 in that the applicant was a resident in Canons Ward. He would remain in the room whilst the matter was considered and voted upon.
[Note: Licensing Panel minutes are:-
(1) approved following each meeting by the Members serving on that particular occasion and signed as a correct record by the Chairman for that meeting;
(2) not submitted to the next panel meeting for approval.
Reasons: The Licensing Panel is constituted from a pooled membership. Consequently, a subsequent Panel meeting is likely to comprise a different Chairman and Members who took no part in the previous meeting’s proceedings. The process referred to at (1) above provides appropriate approval scrutiny].
(See Note at conclusion of these minutes).
Public Questions, Petitions and Deputations
To receive any questions, petitions or deputations (if any), under the provisions of Committee Procedure Rules 17, 15 and 16 (Part 4B) of the Constitution respectively.
[Note: These items are qualified by the requirements of the licensing legislation and will not be applicable to applications on the current agenda.]
RESOLVED: To note that no public questions were put, or petitions or deputations received at this meeting.
Procedure to be followed at an oral hearing.
The Chairman asked the Panel Members, officers, Responsible Authority and other attendees at the meeting to introduce themselves and then outlined the procedure for the conduct of an oral hearing, which was set out in the agenda.
Report of the Corporate Director, Community & Environment.
(1) taking into account:
· the Licensing Act, guidance under Section 182 of the Licensing Act;
· the Licensing objectives;
· Harrow Council’s Licensing Policy;
· the Human Rights Act 1998;
· the principles of natural justice and having considered all representations;
the Panel decided to vary the premises licence so that the sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises is during the following hours:
(2) the following conditions be added to the licence:
1. Prominent, clear and legible notices shall be displayed behind the counter, at all exits and by the alcohol shelving and fridge, specifying the hours permitted for the sale of alcohol;
2. CCTV will be installed, maintained and operated to the reasonable specification of the Metropolitan Police Crime Prevention Officer. Images will be securely stored, kept for a minimum of 31 days and be made available to officers of the police or local authority upon request;
3. A monitored central station alarm (including panic alarms) will be installed, operated and maintained in accordance with the reasonable specification of the Metropolitan Police Crime Prevention Officer.
4. Roller shutter grilles will be fitted to the front of the premises to be secured with high security fixings and closed shackle padlocks;
5. Till guards will be fitted to prevent easy access to cash in the till;
6. A ‘Challenge 21’ policy will be operated at the premises, whereby any person attempting to purchase alcohol (or other age restricted products) and who appears to be under the age of 21 years, will be asked to provide proof (i.e passport, driver’s licence or some other such accredited form of photo identification) that they are over the age of 18 years. Notices will be displayed advising customers that the scheme is in operation. A record of age related refusals of sale will be kept and will be made available to officers of the police or local authority upon request;
7. A minimum of three staff to be on the premises from 23:00 until closing.
REASON: The Panel believed that the decision would promote the licensing objectives of the Licensing Act 2003 and Harrow Council’s Licensing Policy.